Please enjoy music while you read…
Press play to listen to beautiful music. Today I have Cherish by Frozen Silence
#OCTPOWRIMO: Every day for one month I’ll collect inspiration from here and write/post a poem here. You can too!
PROMPT: “Write about old games we played.”
Vintage Void Fillers
In the playground, they played Oranges and Lemons,
or some skipped, Double Dutch, & others ran, screaming, ‘Tick!’
I would watch from the wall, sighing, picking chewed fingernails,
humming Harold Lloyd‘s theme tune to drown out the silence around me,
frowning over Dad’s pending visit.
mostly, I watched TV till the sitters came; mom worked & my big brother had friends.
Then I’d be sent to my room, to unpack.
Dad… another no show.
We’d go on exotic holidays, shop, even dance, together. And we fell
in and out of love with big brothers Action Man. And we laughed & shared secrets, too.
Sometimes, I cried to them. They’d say, “It will be okay tomorrow,”
because that’s what friends did …Right?
This wasn’t a fun prompt for me. I hated my childhood for the most part. I won’t moan on about the details, but loneliness, isolation and fear were staple emotions. Games were few, people to play them with, even fewer. But I always had an imagination and my dolls. 🙂
Enjoy a little Harold Lloyd! I used to love this fella!
- OctPoWriMo 2013: Seeking Poety (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- OctPoWriMo 2013: Autumn Changes (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: A Gift (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- 23 Reasons I’m NOT Doing NaNoWriMo (todaysauthor.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: The Stone That Bled (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: A Gentle Restart. (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- OctPoWriMo Day #013:The Liar, the Trick and the Warmonger (sahmataineking.com)