Please enjoy music while you read…
Today I have Lontana, dolcemente sospesa by Fabrizio Paterlini
#OCTPOWRIMO: Every day for one month I’ll collect inspiration from here and write/post a poem here. You can too!
PROMPT: “Endings And Beginnings: Shadow Poetry.”
What follows are two poems about my brother who died 2004
* Although I like reading mirror poetry, I hated writing it. This is the only form I’ve disliked, so far. It’s thankfully brief. 🙂
You stumbled on through life
life only left you parched
parched as life, less blood
blood to bloodless
bloodless, you now lay silent
silent, we stumble on, your life now gone.
What follows was written couple of years after Brian died (I did make a few changes today however) He had a much nastier form of bipolar then I, and took his own life. This is what happened.
Cough, choke –
Starched prison sheet
In shreds, like a
Poor man’s ribbon
Around your throat
Tissues of ‘goodbyes’
At your feet, for your kin
Salty tracks on
Bloated pink cheeks
They breathed their breath
Passed parched thin, blue lips
Over your swollen tongue
Your robust young chest, then
Listened a while
At the dwindling
It’s been another great year of OctPoWriMo… I met lots of interesting folks and read lots of fabulous words. I kept up too, amazingly. That’s two years without a hiccup! Awesome. I’m ready for a break now though. Bleh!
I’d like to thank everyone who came to comment and share their thoughts about my poems. You are all hugely appreciated. As are the enormous 3000+ following I seem to have acquired?
Don’t forget to try my author blog. No, I don’t talk about me (me, me, me) and my books all the time. You are much more likely to find other authors (who write speculative fiction mostly) and their books, my reviews, guest posts, giveaways, tours, latest news/tips/links, featured authors, etc. But I do keep everyone up to date on my author / publishing progress during various memes, ROW80 updates for example, for those who are interested. I hope to see you there.
PS: A gift for signing up to my author blog newsletter is a short story (approx 5+k) I wrote a while back (recently edited) entitled, The Dead Party – Political zombie satire set in UK. Just saying. 🙂
If you’re celebrating with fireworks and bonfires in a few days, or will be running around the streets at night dressed as the dead, do take care while you’re having fun. : D
- OctPoWriMo 2013: Seeking Poety (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- OctPoWriMo 2013: Autumn Changes (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: A Gift (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: EPITAPH FOR A. J. C #Poetry (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: Bipolar Distress (mrsbongle.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: Memories of Her #poem (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)
- #OctPoWriMo 2013: The Stone That Bled (shahscribbles.wordpress.com)